12.04.2010

Dreaming Big: New Coffee Table

S.O. and I have been vaguely discussing the idea of a new coffee table.  His problem: the antique wicker chest that we are using currently is too high, and hurts his knees when he puts his feet up.  My problem: the antique wicker chest that we are currently using is seriously not my style.

I would prefer something simple and elegant and mid-century.

Like this one, from Door Sixteen

Or this one, from CB2

Or this one, from...ummm...Google Images
But the antique wicker chest does have one big advantage over these minimalist leggy lovelies...STORAGE.  Sigh, the eternal quest for storage in the studio apartment.  We give a pile away to Goodwill at least once a month, and yet our volume of stuff just continues to grow.  My S.O.'s REI addiction is not helpful, and neither is my inability to get rid of books.  But anyhow, let's not play the blame game here. Our new coffee table needs to at least have a nice second shelf, like this Danish one.

Why are Danish things so awesome?
We're thinking that the most economical option, and the one that will best suit or various tastes will be to go DIY on this one.  My cousin, a talented carpenter on his off time, generously offered to let us use some of his extra wood.  S.O. suggested that we do something with slats, because most of the wood my cousin has is 2x4s, and apparently this might lend itself to a slatty type of table.

 S.O. is excited about this idea because it makes the table stronger.  Apparenlty bowling alleys orient the wood on the lanes sideways like this in order to protect it from the poundage of thousands of poorly thrown bowling balls.  I like this idea because it reminds me of those benches that they always have in museums, that I am totally obsessed with.  This one is actually called, "The Museum bench."
"The Museum Bench."  Super strong, like a bowling alley.  Built to sustain hundreds of butts per day.
If we built a table top like that one, we could put it on some cheap but stylish IKEA legs like these and VOILA.

We're still working on how to incorporate a little storage into the design.  It can be done.  Check this out from 54Dean.  Slats, storage, modern, leggy.  The dream.  It would take a set of tools and a level of craftsmanship far beyond what we have available to put something like this together.

The dream.
Ours will still be awesome though.  I'd like to stain it to show off the wood. I love the color of this wood on a DIY desk from Manhattan Nest.
I'm obsessed with this desk from made by Daniel, a college student who writes a blog at manhattan-nest.com
Or this bench, made from an old fence.


Anyhow, I'll keep the blog updated about our awesome future slatted coffee table.  Here's a couple of extra photos for inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment