2.01.2011

The lonely nomadic workspace versus the computer with a stable home life


Unlike this man, my computer has a desk (and a roof, and walls).  Not only a desk, but a lovely chair.  It's got a system of cable organization, and a keyboard tray with a keyboard in it.  My computer has a home.


My significant other has a computer too.  It used to live on the coffee table, and then when the video card broke, it began living on the entertainment center, with our TV being the monitor.  When he wants to work, he pulls a chair from the kitchen table toward the center of the room, and pulls out a wireless keyboard.

At first these nomadic office habits drove me crazy.  I was willing to downgrade to one bookshelf and buy a second desk.  But as my long lost friend (I promise she will blog again some day) glitter-and-spandex has made clear, working side by side is not always the best solution.  And when a cloffice just isn't viable, what's a grad student to do???

Anyhow, I have come to accept and even like the idea of an office-less workspace.  Unplggd has several bloggers who confess to working from the couch, or wherever they fancy.


Also, working from the couch invites the possession of cool foldaway laptop desks that can double as side tables, or TV dinner holders.  This one is also from Unplggd.


Or coffee tables that fold out into desks, like this one from Apartment Therapy!


The typical graduate student can't afford a separate home office, and my little desk sure does take up a lot of space in our studio.  A nice little nomadic sofa-office is sounding nicer and nicer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment