11.08.2010

Debrief: Wearing my new fivefingers on campus


I apologize for the quality of the photo, but all I had was the bberry.

Yesterday we went on consumer overload, and spent all day at REI (used gear sale!) and Ikea.  More about some of my Ikea purchases at a later date.  We waited in line for almost 2 hours for the REI used gear sale, but I think it was worth it.  One of my most exciting purchases was a pair of fivefingers, those silly looking shoes made by Vibram that look like gloves for your feet.  Vibram makes soles for other shoe companies mostly, so it's not surprising that they would come out with a shoe that was basically just a sole.  The idea is that human feet are not designed (and when I say designed, I don't really mean designed, calm down) to wear shoes, so these allow your toes to spread, and for your walking mechanics to more closely resemble barefooted-ness.

I do a lot of walking on campus.  My classes are in a totally different area from my office, which is in a totally different area from where I teach.  The gym is yet another walk, and getting to the library or media services takes me to the other side of campus.  I also spend a lot of time in one of the science buildings, which is yet another area.  And all of these places are separated by steep, short patches of thick forest, and long stretches of cattle pasture.  Kind of a ridiculously big campus.  Walk walk walk walk.

I've been on campus since 8:30AM today, and I have another 2.5 hours to go.  So far, I am happy to report, my feet have never been happier.  And I haven't even gotten any funny looks! I was a little worried about that.

And yes, I have sleepy owls as my desktop right now.  Awwwwww...

No comments:

Post a Comment