10.03.2010

Review: Gmail Priority Inbox

Since my computer has been rather temperamental of late, i've stopped using my mail application and started exclusively using gmail. I already have my school emails forwarded to gmail, so I only have to check one email address.

Sometime last year I started obsessively labeling emails. I loooooooooooove labeling and overall, it works out pretttttty well. Let's take a moment for just a few of my labels shall we?



Hot damn.

So when gmail threw this whole priority inbox thing out there, I was intrigued. I thought it might serve as a good way to further organize my out of control inbox [my department alone has SIX listservs].

Unfortunately, thus far priority mailbox has not helped me tame my inbox. My visions of me luxuriously, yet still oh-so-efficiently checking my email ["Oh my this email is checking is going SOOOO quickly! Ha ha ha! What a LOVELY DAY!"] are still fantasy. I don't have a smartphone [I will never surrender my $10 Target phone with an FM radio and bizarre games on it] or anywhere to work on campus, so when I get home at night, I usually have have 50 or so emails to get through before I can start my homework.

The main problem I have found with the priority inbox is that no matter how many times I label something "important" or "not important", it just doesn't learn it's lesson. Nor can I figure out just HOW and WHAT it seems to use as it's criteria for important/not important. Random email about shampoo from a newsletter I have continually tried to unsubscribe from/mark as unimportant? IMPORTANT. Email about language study scholarships from a source repeatedly marked important? NOT IMPORTANT.

The best I can figure out is that my pre-made filters/labels might actually be messing with the priority sorter? Maybe? Is anyone else using priority inbox and can sort out this crazy magic for me?

1 comment:

  1. gmail labels = the shit. especially for listservs that I typically care little about. then I have my filter label them and BAM, I can look over all of them at one time, and then delete all of them at one time. BAM.

    ReplyDelete