10.11.2010

Co-habitation in a studio: Fight noise with white noise

Poster from the Fight Noise with Noise campaign by artist Michael Horowitz.
My little desk is about four feet from our over-sized television, and it is not easy to do academic writing when Snooki and The Situation are screaming at each other in the background.  Sure I have an office on campus, but why would I want to lug myself up there every day when I have a workspace right here, 15 feet from my bed and 20 feet from my refrigerator?

Color block headphones by
Fred Flare.  Way cooler looking than
the ones my boyfriend bought.
My boyfriend recently purchased a pair of expensive noise-reducing headphones on the internet for a very good price, and I tried them out.  All they did was block out the white noise from the street, and make the voices of the people on the television easier to understand!  In desperation I tried to drown out the noise with iTunes, but I just can't think straight when I'm listening to music.

Enter SimplyNoise, my new best friend.  It's a free web app that plays either white noise, pink noise or brown noise at a volume of your choosing.  It will even oscillate the level for you, which is surprisingly soothing.  In case you were wondering (I was), the colors correspond to sound frequency profiles.  Just like with color, lower frequencies correspond to reds and pinks, and higher frequencies to blues and violets.  White noise (like color), is approximately the same levels of all frequencies.  It's all about the power spectrum!  Yay for fourier transforms!

Check out SimplyNoise at www.simplynoise.com.  They also sell iPod and iPhone apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment